Thursday, April 17, 2014

#229 DXCC TJ3SN Cameroon Confirmed

#229 TJ3SN Cameroon

#228 3C0BYP Annobon Islands CARD
#227 VQ9JC Chagos Islands LOTW
#226 A65CA United Arab Emirates - LOTW
#225 8R1Z Guyana CARD
#224 VK9MT Mellish Reef LOTW
#223 S9TF Sao Tome and Principe Island LOTW
#222 T8CW Palau Card
#221 PY0F/PP1CZ Fernando de Noronha Card
#220 5Z4T Kenya  Card
#219 DU3/N0QM Philippines LOTW
#218 T77C San Marino LOTW
#217 3A2MW Monaco LOTW
#216 HS0ZKX Thailand LOTW
#215 J28NC Djibouti Card
#214 VR2UW Hong Kong Card
#213 TZ6BB Mali LOTW
#212 EX2B Kryzgystan  Card
#211 4S7VG Sri Lanka Card
#210 C31CT Andorra Card
#209 UN7QX Kazakhstan Card
#208 3V8BB Tunisia LOTW
#207 JD1BHA Ogasawara LOTW
#206 V73MW Marshall Islands LOTW
#205 JT1CS  Mongolia LOTW
#204 TO7CC Reunion Island LOTW

Friday, April 11, 2014

Philippines Finally Confirmed #219 DU3/N0QM

It has been not for lack of trying to get the Philippines in the log.  Larry N0QM finally got my my call in his log.  The DUs have always been on the weak side.  Propagation was good on 10m this day in late March.  Having a Hexbeam focus all that energy helped.  Larry was ust using a vertical as shown below.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Elecraft New PX3 Panadapter

As expected, The PX3 is fully integrated with the KX3, meaning you can dial the PX3 knob to select a visible signal and then tap it to change the rig frequency. The visible bandwidth is up to 200 kHz, better than any known sound card based panadapter solutions. The early spec sheet can be found at

Friday, April 4, 2014

VK9MT Maybe Abandoning Mellish Reef for Safe Haven

I have not seen spots in the cluster for a day now.....


Stormy Weather May Force Retreat of Mellish Reef VK9MT DXpedition Team:

from The ARRL Letter on April 3, 2014
Add a comment about this article! 

Stormy Weather May Force Retreat of Mellish Reef VK9MT DXpedition Team:
Deteriorating weather and high winds could force the Mellish Reef VK9MT team from the Pacific Atoll to the Evohe, the ship that transported them from Australia a week earlier. The operation may have to be abandoned altogether, if the poor weather persists. The DXpedition began operations on March 29 and had planned to remain on Mellish Reef until April 9.
"The weather continues to change," a team update reported April 3. "Last night there were torrential downpours and high winds." The DXpedition said that antennas survived with no damage, but the operators have removed nonessential equipment and several antennas, including the just-erected 160 meter antenna. While water flowed into the "break tent" through an open window, the operating tents were dry, and no equipment was damaged.
"Tomorrow morning we will remove all remaining equipment from the island and head towards Australia," the team said, adding that its immediate destination would depend upon the winds and sea conditions, although the ship eventually would return to its home port of Mackay, Australia. "Even if the storm subsides, it is unlikely we will have enough time to return to the island."
Early on April 3, the team reported it was keeping an eye on a tropical depression north of Mellish Reef and made contingency plans to shut down and abandon the reef, at least temporarily. "The safety of the DXpedition team and the crew is the first priority," the team said.
The operators were requesting that only those needing Mellish Reef for an all-time new one call the DXpedition. To that end VK9MT intended to focus its attention on bands that drive the highest rates. As of 2000 UTC, VK9MT continued to hold forth on 15, 17, 20, 30, 80, and 75 meters. Last activated in 2009, Mellish Reef is number 22 on ClubLog's most recent mixed-mode DXCC Most Wanted List -- Thanks to The Daily DX, DX Summit

On Apr 2, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Dave Anderson <> wrote:

Now is the time to turn the radio on and work the VM9MT guys ASAP. The posted a notice they may have to QRT due to the Typhoon.

Do Not spare the horses!

Dave Anderson, K4SV
Sent from my iPad


Thursday, April 3, 2014

VK9MT Mellish Reef

Heard news that team may have to evacuate because of a coming typhoon,  I was able to work the team on phone on 17m at 5 in the morning EDT.  I checked Weather Underground and no tropical depressions brewing in the area.  I managed to work them again on 20m on the Hexbeam an hour later.