Saturday, March 21, 2015

Plan B - Power Source for the DXpedition

I have researched the airline regulations concerning small generators in checked luggage.  Generators have never been small enough to be packed into a a piece of luggage.  With the PowerHouse 500 Wi, it is small enough to be packed into a suitcase.  The question is, will it be accepted by the air carriers?  Some carriers will accept it as checked luggage provided it has never been run and never filled with fuel.  Some carriers will not allow it in any condition.  This forced me to rethink my power source for the time I am away from commercial power.

Plan B is to use Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.  They have 1/5 the weight of the equivalent capacity SLA (sealed lead acid) and have a deeper discharge (80%) before needing a recharge.  The KX3 will stop working long before the battery reaches a deep discharge.  I just need a charger now that will work with 220V and 50 Hz commercial power.  I will also need to sell the generator I acquired.

I found a voltage converter at Batteries and Bulbs which will step the voltage down from 220 to 120V.  I also found a 3.5A charger that will charge a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery in the same store.  I found 35Ah and 24Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries at Amazon for a very reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment