Friday, October 23, 2020

My new backpacking set-up for SOTA Activations

 For backpacking where minimalism is important to me, my go to radio is the LNR MTR3B Mountain Topper.   The radio itself weighs 174 grams.  WG0AT has repackaged his into a clear lid tin that only weighs 120g.   With the battery and the key made GM0EUL, the whole set up weighs less than a pound.


I used a small camera case which has the earbud.

For an antenna, I use a 40-30-20 link dipole.  There is a separable link for 30m.  Separating this link makes it an EFHW on 30m.  With the link connected - it is a full wave on 20m and a half wave on 40m.  The winder is a home made UHMW PE plastic.  The line is spearfishing line and the wire is from SOTABeams.  The weight includes the weight of the line thrower.   


The entire set-up including antenna, radio, etc weighs about 1.5 pounds including the waterproof dry bag from Sea-to-Summit.




No comments:

Post a Comment