Thursday, November 22, 2018

W4C/WM-027 - Nettle Creek Bald


Activation Date - November 15, 2018


The start of the trail to Nettle Creek Bald.  The trail head is about 20 minutes drive from the Clingmans Dome access road on US441.  The parking area is at the edge of the hair pin.


This is at the fork in the trail about 1/2 mile from the summit.   The summit is on the trail to Newton Bald.


I set up my gear on a tarp and leaned conveniently against the log.  The mast is fastened to a tree stump about 5 yards away.


My hiking companion Scott KW4JM logging his contacts.  He is making a summit to summit contact at the moment.  I made to summit to summit contacts from this summit.


My heart rate as recorded on my GPS watch.  See how it correlates with the slope of the trail (grey).  The first rise was an average of 4% grade.


This photo was taken on an overlook near the Clingmans Dome access road.  It was surreal reminiscent of the glaciers in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment