Friday, November 30, 2018

W4C/WM-018 - Wine Spring Bald

The weather looked promising as I left Travelers Rest at 7 AM.  I met up with Scott KW4JM at the Home Depot near I-40.  We drove up the National Forest Road which is a turn from Wayah Road.   The National Forest Road is a 3 mile gravel road which barely fits two cars.  There is an antenna farm at the summit (elevation 1640 meters)  I set up my MTR antenna  using one of the yellow posts as a support for my 26 foot mast in an inverted V.    I operated under the eave of the building on the right - but with the rain being sideways - did not help much from getting wet.  I quit after 5 QSO's on 40m  - just enough to validate the activation.


Here is Scott KW4JM from his operating position.  He set up under a canopy and used a QRPguys 3 band vertical on 20m.


Here I am packed up and ready to go down the 0.63 mile trail (6% grade)


We had planned on also activating Siler Bald - 3 miles away but with the heavy rain - not an appealing prospect for a 2 mile hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment