Friday, October 24, 2014

My Experience as a W1AW/7 Operator

Needless to say, this was a learning experience.  There is a big difference between being the hunter and the hunted.  Normally I am on the other side of the pileup, amongst the other hunters.  And as is typical among the chasers, I would listen on VFO-a and TX on VFO-b.  When you are the hunted and in this case W1AW/7, the roles are reversed and so are the VFOs and this did not occur to me until a few minutes when a few callers told me I was listening down 5.  Logging and controlling the station slowed me down.  There were times, the remote computer would hang on TX.  This delayed my QSL and thanks to the calling station.  It seemed to many stations that I was on a 5 second delay.  After I got the hang of it, I was able to work 86 stations in 29 states.

No comments:

Post a Comment